I have a bit of an obsession lately with lentils! I just fell in love with them while in Goa, India a couple of years back but only now really getting to discover new recipes with them. They are just so quick and easy and not to mention their high nutritional value!
- High in protein
- Great source of iron
- High in fiber
- good for your bones
- good source of folic acid
- high in magnesium.
I usually have a few cans tucked in the cupboard which are quick & easy to use as they are pre cooked. But you can also use dried lentils. They just take a bit more time to cook.
I came up with this recipe very quickly this morning when I need to rush out the door to bring my very impatient fur baby for walkies. In her defence she had waited 2 hours past her usual walkies time so I really had to just make it a quick simple breakfast as I was starving!
I really didn’t fancy having bread again so I found a tin of lentils in the cupboard along with a tin of tomatoes. Add in a generous handful of spinach, an egg & a few other staples and I was able to throw this nutritious creation together! Don’t you just love when it just works out!
Next time I cook this I will definitely be adding some sautee mushrooms & Red bell peppers (capsicum)! A small birds eye chilli could also be added if you are fond of a bit of spice for breakfast like my chilli addict hubby!
Also if you do want some bread for your runny poached egg, a bit of toasted flat bread, turkish or roti would be great on the side.
Lentil, Spinach & Poached Eggs
- 1 can Lentils (drained)
- ½ can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small Onion finely diced
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 2 lg Eggs
- 30 g Chopped Spinach
- 5 g Chopped Coriander Stems
- 1 Birds Eye Chilli (optional)
- Dash Oil for frying
- Pinch Ground paprika & coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat up oil in frying pan on medium heat
- Fry garlic, onions & cumin for 5 mins until translucent.
- Add in chilli half ways through if using one.
- Add in tinned tomatoes, coriander stalks & spinach and fry for 2 more minutes on high heat.
- Heat water in a small pot and add dash vinegar
- Wait until bubbles start forming in your water so its simmering but not boiling & gently drop your eggs into the water. It is important that you have your water slightly bubbling as this will bring the whites of your egg up over the top to form a ball.
- Cook for 4/5 mins ensuring you maintain that slightly simmering water. Remove gently with slotted spoon and drain off.
- Divide your lentil mix between two plates. Top with poached eggs. Garnish with some paprika & coriander leaves.
- Some toasted sourdough or flat bread will go really well with this. You could also add an extra poached egg & some bacon for a more fuller breakfast.