Been looking to cook this dish for quite a while but never quite got around it. Finally set myself the goal today and I am totally regretting not making it sooner! So easy. I cooked it in the slow cooker but you could also use a crock pot in the oven. I was so impressed! It is definitely my new favourite pasta dish. Just so rich with flavour!
Worth cooking more & freezing some to be able to pull it out for a quick flavourful meal. I would also really consider making this when we have guests over next. I can make it ahead of time & reckon its quite the impressive dish. Paired with a rich full bodied red wine it will definitely be a crowd pleaser!
Although most recipes use just chuck or stewing beef I thought using some osso bucco too would work really well. Just love the flavour you get from the cut & the marrow just adds an amazing richness to the dish. You can decide to leave it out if you can’t source any but definitely consider it.
Using red wine is not optional for me either. It really is an integral addition to this dish & would be lacking so much without it. Just grab the cheapest cooking wine from your local liquor store. Always worth having it on hand for stews & bolognese.
You can use any pasta with this rich beef sauce but I think egg pappardelle really does work best. The wide layers catch all the sauce & pulled beef & it just looks quite special. Anytime I think of Beef Ragu I automatically think of pappardelle even though I never cooked it before so I am totally trusting my gut on this one (and bloody hell, my gut was thanking me after haha!)
Slow Cooked Beef Ragu Pappardelle
- 600 g Chuck Beef Or any cheap cuts suitable for slow cooking.
- 400 g Osso Bucco Optional. Use extra chuck instead if preferred.
- 250 ml Red Wine
- 400 ml Water
- 680 g Passata
- 2 Onions
- 2 Carrots Finely diced
- 3 sticks Celery Finely diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Finely chopped
- 2 Beef Stock Cubes
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- Salt & Black pepper to taste
- Turn on slow cooker to high or preheat oven at 160C if using a crock pot or casserole dish.
- Sear beef on high heat in frying pan until brown on all sides. Around 5 mins. Set aside.
- Add garlic, onions, carrots & celery to the frying pan and sauté on med to high heat for 10 mins.
- Add all your ingredients to your slow cooker or crock pot, cover & cook for 4 or 5 hours or until the beef is falling apart.
- Cook your pappardelle as per packet instructions or until al dente.
- In a bowl combine the meat sauce and pasta well and portion into bowls.
- Grate fresh parmasen over each bowl.
- Pour a glass of red wine.Sit back and enjoy every morsel!Buon Appetito!Love Lizzy